Choosing Your Scents
- What is the difference between Perfume, Eau de Parfum, Eau de Toilette, and Eau de Cologne?
- What is the difference between a splash and a spray?
- Why do some men wear Cologne, and others prefer to wear After Shave?
- What are the differences between After Shave lotion, After Shave Gel, and After Shave Balm?
- What is shower gel?
- Are your products "the real deal" or copies of popular fragrances?
- What is EDP, EDT and EDC?
- What are fragrance notes?
• What is the difference between Perfume, Eau de Parfum, Eau de Toilette, and Eau de Cologne?
The difference between these three types of fragrances is:
- Eau de Parfum - besides a true "perfume", this type of fragrance has the most concentration of fragrance oils. A good quality EDP can last up to 8 full hours or more with a minimal application. The less you have to apply, the better value you get from your purchase.
- Eau de Toilette - this fragrance type has a smaller concentration of fragrance oils and only lasts about 4-6 full hours. Most men's fragrances are made using this type of fragrance production, although some women's fragrances will be sold in both an EDT and an EDP version.
- Eau de Cologne - this fragrance type has the least amount of fragrance oils and is usually considered to be the same as an Aftershave. This type of fragrance requires a heavier application to provide desired results.
Remember that, regardless of what strength perfume or cologne you purchase, the key to maximizing a scent's effectiveness is to layer it with as many related products as possible. If you can, purchase a gift set that includes the fragrance, a shower gel and a body lotion. When all three products are used together, the scent lasts much longer than if just used the fragrance by itself. Also, try and keep your fragrances in a cool, dry environment. If you travel, only bring a small portion of the liquid with you as changes in altitude, pressure and temperature can all have adverse effects on a bottle of perfume or cologne.
Every perfume is not manufactured in all types. Many perfumes will come in one fragrance type only. If you are interested in finding out if your perfume is manufactured in more than one type, contact us.
• What is the difference between a splash and a spray?
There is no difference in the fragrance, but in the application. Sprays may last longer, since they are in sealed bottles. Whether to use a splash or a spray is your decision.
• Why do some men wear Cologne, while others wear After Shave?
The fragrance from cologne lasts longer than After Shave. Many wear both, so that the fragrance lasts longer on the skin and in the bottle. After Shave also benefits the skin by tightening the pores.
• What are the differences between After Shave Lotion, After Shave Gel, and After Shave Balm?
- After Shave Lotion generally stings but helps to close the pores after shaving.
- After Shave Gel soothes and cools the skin and relieves razor burn.
- After Shave Balm soothes to the skin.
• What is shower gel?
Shower gel is liquid soap for both men and women. It foams well and leaves fragrance on the skin, enhancing your cologne or perfume and helping your fragrance to last longer.
• Are your products "the real deal" or copies of popular fragrances?
Yes, our products are "the real deal". Big Discount Fragrances has always been committed to complete customer satisfaction. To this end, our business model will not allow for the resale of knock-off or imitation fragrances...ever. We guarantee that every product we sell is direct from the manufacturer and has never been used. In a sense, it would cost us far more in the loss of customer loyalty by selling imitation or knock-off goods than we would gain by selling these items in the first place.
In addition to the above, Big Discount Fragrances has been in the perfume and cologne wholesale business for more than 20 years. Throughout this time, we've established and maintained key relationships with some of the finest beauty and fashion manufacturers and distributors in the world. The quality we expect from them is the same quality you can expect from us. No matter what type of product you're interested in, Big Discount Fragrances will guarantee that it's 100% genuine - no knock-offs or imitations ever.
• What is EDP, EDT and EDC?
These are abbreviations for the concentration of oils in a fragrance. The highest concentration of oils is in perfume (or parfum). Next would be:
- Eau de Parfum (EDP)
- Eau de Toilette (EDT)
- Eau de Cologne (EDC)
Eau de Toilette and Eau de Cologne are generally interchangeable, particularly in Men's fragrances. The lowest concentration of oils is in After Shave. The higher the concentration of oils, the longer your fragrance lasts, and the less fragrance you need to apply. If you want to know the difference between each type of fragrance, click here.
• What are fragrance notes?
Fragrances are comprised of many different scents, called "notes", classified as follows:
- Top notes: are very light and last 5-10 minutes
- Middle notes: can be detected in about 15 minutes after application and last up to an hour or more
- Bottom notes: are heavier and last the longest, usually for several hours
To choose your fragrance, wait until the alcohol has dissipated (about ten to fifteen seconds).
When using your fragrance at home, lightly spray the fragrance on pressure points (the wrists, neck, inner crease of your elbows and behind the ears). A light spritz of fragrance in your hair can help your scent last all day.